Sunday, September 19, 2010

Response Post: "Books and Words" by Leon Liang

While going through the list of blogs written by my fellow classmates at Alameda Science and Technology Institute, i found one that standed out to me because i can relate to it. This blog, by Leon Liang, contained the following:

When I hear the word “book”, I automatically feel like I am going to be bored to death from reading. Reading is something that I find complicated and hard. I am one of those that cannot sit down and just read. Most of the time, I would just fall asleep after a couple pages. The problem with books is that I cannot face a page full of just words. From grade school until now, the number of books I have read, excluding the books assigned by teachers, can be counted with two hands. I never bother to go discover which book is good and which one is boring. I only read things that I feel like interesting.

When i read this portion of the blog, i feel almost the same exact way! Books to me are really boring and they are barely read by me. In those rare occasions where I reading books, it is because i am in a situation in which i am forced to read it! Its either "read" or "get an F" situations that i am caught with a book in my hand. While Leon states that the number of books he has read without being forced to can be counted with two hands, you can count the number I have read with only one! And even those aren't necessarily voluntary by me!

When I look over why books are such a problem and distress for me, I kinda blame myself, not the books. I have not looked over the kinds of book that are of my interest. I would rather watch some TV or play a sport outside for my free time than to read a book. I think that i might need to cancel out some of the activities and hobbies that i have to make room for reading books. I also don't like to read for a long period time, which to me is maybe about thirty minutes. I have to take a break and procrastinate and sometimes don't ever come back to reading that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment